This holiday home is available to rent.
One of the oldest houses in Bournton-on-the-Water
Building began in 1642 – at the start of The English Civil War
Mid C17 (dated 1650 on plaque) restored 1914
The Terrace probably retains the pre-1800 structure.
Originally a stone Manor House the main residence and administrative centre of the lord of the manor.
The terrace is built of coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, with a steeply pitched Cotswold stone roof with stone verges. Notice the continuous drip mould over windows and doors on the ground floor.
Comprised of two storeys and attics. Each house has one window with a door in a four centred arch on the right-hand.
Nos 1 and 2 have a two storey bay with six light mullion windows (that of No 1 is dated 1650, that of No 2 1914) above are large gables with three light mullion windows. No 3 has three light mullion windows with two light in the gable.
The whole front is perforated by pigeonholes. An exceptionally rare if not unique feature within a house.
There are ashlar chimney stacks with moulded caps and the centre of the roof has been retiled.
The extension to the right of No 1 has been converted from an outhouse.
The cottages to the right were added in the 18th century.
There is a now covered doorway upstairs that once connected No. 2 and No. 1. Also upstairs in No. 2 is a wig and gown cupboard that is also part of the Grade Two Star listing.
Long ago, the Manor House stood alone in its own grounds and was the last house in the village. It looked out over the fields and hills and the garden ran down to the river.
Mid summer’s eve is the best time to see the fairies. It’s one of the four nights when the boundaries twixt this world and the other are lowered.
When the river was here, it was safe from fairies, though local people always crushed eggshells lest fairies would use them to cross the river.
Now, where the river ran, is called Pockhill Lane a misspelling over the centuries from Puck Hill.
Within this picture are eleven fairies. Bad fairies, as well as good.